Diabetic Awareness Essay Contest
Texas Lions District 2-E2
2019-2020 Opportunities for Youth
Each year the Lions Organ and Eye Bank conducts the Diabetic Awareness Essay Contest.
For the Diabetes 101 Essay Contest 2019-2020 – contestants are asked to research and write about the different types of diabetes to get a greater understanding of symptoms, causes, risk factors, and long- term complications of having diabetes. The essay should identify both medical treatments and lifestyle choices that can help individuals manage their diabetes.
Diabetic Awareness Essay Contest Prize Rules – District 2-E2
• Essay and Application Acceptance Dates: Nov. 1, 2019 through Dec. 1, 2019
• Essay Length: Up To 1500 Words
• Essay Scholarship Prizes:
- 1st Place in 2-E2 $2,000, advances to State Competition
- 2nd Place in 2-E2 $1,500, alternate for State Competition
- 3rd Place in 2-E2 $1,000
• The Essay and Application can be emailed to: email@example.com.
* Emails must be received by 11:59 pm on December 1, 2019.
• The Essay and Application can be mailed to:
Lions District 2-E2 Organ and Eye Bank, P.O. Box 830, Fort Worth, TX 76101.
* If sent via US Mail, it must have a postmark date no later than Friday, November 29, 2019.
• Essay must be under 1,500 words, typed, double-spaced; have a word count on the last page; and, include a bibliography of alphabetized sources (not counted towards the word count).
• Contestants must present their essay as a speech at the District 2-E2 cabinet meeting before three judges on January 18, 2020 (1st United Methodist Church, 590 NE McAllister Rd., Burleson, TX).
• The winner must be willing to compete on May 16, 2020 in the State competition (travel costs to Longview, Texas will be covered) .
• Judging Criteria: content (60%), recitation (25%), and English language including grammar, sentence structure, pronunciation, and correct usage (15%)
Entrants Must Be Sponsored by their Local Lions Club
The state contest rules and applications can be found at www.texaslions.org.
The District 2-E2 Essay Winner and Sponsoring Club will also enter the state contest for any additional scholarship.