Lions 2E2 Clubs – Sponsoring Club
Vision Assistance Instructions
Organ and Eye Bank Board
The sponsoring club is responsible for supporting the applicant.
- Providing applicants the Vision Assistance Application.
- Assisting Applicants in filling out the application.
- Locating the supporting documents.
- Maintaining confidentiality of their personal information.
- Serving as a liaison between the applicant and the Board.
- Helping the applicant with transportation and post-procedure issues such as procuring glasses.
Each sponsorship is different, but here is some helpful information.
• Confirm that the applicant lives in District 2-E2. If not, the LOEB can help you determine if there is an entity in the applicant’s district that can assist them.
• Provide the application form and release to the applicant. These can be downloaded from the LOEB website, and you can print them for the applicant. Help the applicant fill out the forms. Meet in person if possible. This helps you get to know the applicant and it is more personal and helpful. Remember: The applicant has vision problems so they might not be able to see well enough to read the application.
• Respect the applicant’s PRIVACY. Do not discuss medical information in public. Find a private room (ie. public library conference room) in which to discuss the personal information in the application. Keep the application and documents in a CONFIDENTIAL folder and secure location. Do not scan or email any personal information (Social Security number, medical statements). Do not make a copy. Be careful and do not allow anyone to review the application. When the application is completed, contact the Vision Assistance chair to make arrangements to mail or hand-deliver the original documents for the Board’s review.
• Help the applicant obtain the supporting documents; such as printing their pay stubs etc.
• Be sure that the applicant obtains a written estimate of the applicant’s out-of-pocket costs from all medical providers who will be doing the procedure. Do not simply submit an estimate from the referring provider. Be sure he estimate of costs includes all costs; such as eye drops, surgery, anesthesiologist, therapy, etc. If the provider(s) are not cooperative with providing the necessary estimates, call the LOEB Vision Assistance chair.
• Serve as a liaison between the Board and the applicant during the review process and help answer any questions from the Board. Follow up by explaining the Board’s decision to the applicant. Be sure to explain the following: if LOEB approves a grant, the Board will write the check payable directly to the health care provider who is performing the procedure. Also, the check will be delivered or mailed directly to the provider(s).
• If the applicant receives a grant, the sponsoring club must assist the applicant with transportation to surgery. After surgery, the sponsoring club should plan to provide assistance during recovery (i.e. prescription glasses needed).